Monday, July 18, 2011

Last Weeks Fun & Fabulous Finds:

These are my favorite finds from last week.  They were all from thrift stores, except the dino.

IMG_7591

Fate is a funny thing!  The day before I found this parrot I had purchased two FurReal puppies at a thrift store for $1 each (DD age 6 loves them!) and so in my research on eBay that night I by chance saw that the only FurReal toy that is really valuable is Squakers the FurReal Parrot

A small mental note was made… it’s not like I thought I’d ever find one!

The next day at one of my favorite “hole in the wall” thrift stores I found him!!!  The real blessing is that I had called my husband to have him look up the bird on eBay to confirm I had the right thing and THANK HEAVENS I did because he said the bird came with a perch, remote control, and cracker.  I didn’t find the cracker but at the bottom of a toy bin I dug out the remote and perch!  These items dramatically increase this silly parrots value and I would have never known!  So YAY for little thrifting miracles and blessings!  Some might say coincidence… but I don’t.

I stuffed him in a bag for a bag sale, so it turns out I paid approx 75 cents for him!

IMG_7593

DH and I went on a date for the first time in 8 months last week… how terrible is that?!  We had a yummy shared dinner at Outback and then we went thrifting WITHOUT children!  What more could a girl ask for?  Thrifting isn’t his favorite, but seeing his hugely 9 months pregnant wife happy IS! 

I must give credit where credit is due.  I’m not really outdoorsy.  And I don’t really care about brand names.  DH on the other hand spent his entire childhood outdoors and is pretty picky when it comes to brand name high quality outdoor clothing, gear, and accessories.  So he spotted these awesome condition Keen sandals in our daughters size and said we should pay the $3 price for them.  I was happy to see what they SELL FOR.

 IMG_7594

Thanks to Jen the Yard Sale Mommy, when I saw this Little Tikes football toy chest at Goodwill I snatched it up even though it was $12.  Here is what these bad boys SELL FOR NOW, and I am assuming they might sell for even more during football season!  (people use them for coolers)  I plan on cleaning it up and adding some white paint where the stickers have been torn.

011

Ah, the “Dinosaur Tragedy of 2011”

This was major drama to me.  Maybe just because I’m so pregnant, maybe not!  But I was literally depressed all day over this “tragedy”.

The Good: I purchased the above Jurassic Park Dinosaur for $1, and he is highly collectible, rare, and sells for $60 - $110 on eBay.

The Bad: I had an extremely brainless moment and did not buy the other two dinosaurs sitting next to him in the driveway for $1 each… I had no idea what they were at the time and just grabbed the one pictured because of his cool colors to sell at the consignment sale for ten bucks.

Here is the first one I didn’t buy: OUCH!

And the second: OUCH AGAIN!

 IMG_7595

Again, from my favorite little thrift, I bought this Chicco Travel System (stroller, car seat, and base) for $25.  It sells for $330 at Target.com 

I will be able to sell it at the fall consignment sale for approx. $165! :)

It was a great week and I can’t think of a better way of passing the time until our babies arrival.  Treasure Hunting is the best!

13 comments:

Carrie G. said...

Hey - I've been reading your comments at yardsalemommy.com and thought I'd let you know that those Keens sell great, year 'round! They also clean up fairly well in the washer inside a pillow case, so keep your eyes peeled :)

Great finds; I used to have one of those Jurassic Park dinos in my dorm room...wonder where he got off to...

J to the Nessa said...

Thanks Carrie! I'll make a note to keep an eye out for more Keens. :) Whenever I feel bad about the dinosaurs I think of the lady that sold all three for $3 and feel even worse for her! :)

Carrie G. said...

Good point. I actually have my Jurassic Park original plastic lunch box still (I used to keep my college art supplies in it). Might have to go look that up, even though it's missing the thermos (who kept those things?!?).

Jill said...

I found you through YardSaleMommy as well! In fact, last night I pretty much read every post in your archive. lol So if I got this right, you started this blog as a way to showcase/record your couponing deals, and now you've switched over to buying/reselling? I myself have not heavily couponed in a while. I'm itching to do this eBay thing....I've sold things here & there, but never consistently. Just wanted to say that I'm loving your blog!!

J to the Nessa said...

Hi Jill! Thanks! Yes, this blog just morphs into whatever my current bargain and treasure hunting/money making obsession is at the moment! :) ha ha

Christie said...

I want one of those parrots! I am tracking some on eBay hoping to get one before Holiday prices go up.
Prayers for a healthy baby and easy delivery.
~ Christie

Dude ! said...

Nice work, all great scores! The Little Tikes football selling price of $74....yowza!! On my "buy" list now!

Great Blog! ! !

Dude @MoneyintheGarage

J to the Nessa said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! :)

jules said...

As soon as I saw how much the football was going for a few months ago I took it right out of the play area and replaced it with another yard sale toy box. I'm going to sell mine at the start of football season. Key word tailgate!

Samantha said...

I couldn't believe it, I walked into my local consignment store today and tried not to hyperventilate when I looked up and saw Squawkers on the shelf above the toys sitting on his perch and he was only $6! I played it cool and brought him home and am SO excited to see what he goes for! No remote or cracker but I'm wondering if I find those parts on ebay if it would be worth it... Thanks for the tip!

J to the Nessa said...

Yay for finding Squawkers!!! :)

Rachel said...

I know you are crazy busy with your sweet little baby, but I have some consignment sale questions. I bought a K'NEX set at a yard sale for $2, and I decided to risk all the pieces being there because I didn't want to sit there and count out hundreds of tiny little pieces. Well, turns out that there are a couple missing pieces. Can I just bag up what I do have and sell it at JBF? How much would I ask for that? Also, any ideas on how to price Leap Frog Systems? THANK YOU! I've never done JBF before and am nervous I'm going to do this wrong. I'm on a tight income, so any money I can make is vital.

J to the Nessa said...

Hi Rachel - Yes, I'd just bag up what you have to sell at JBF. I'd probably price it at no higher than 1/4 of retail since it is not complete. I don't know much about Knex, if they are like Lego's than it shouldn't matter. If the pieces are important like a puzzle, well then, you should note that they are missing on your tag. I just sold a Leapster System with screen cover and carrying case on ebay for $12 plus shipping. The games are where you can actually make good money! I don't like to sell electronics at consignment sales because I worry about theft and/or breakage. Good luck preparing for JBF! :)