Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What to Watch For Wednesday!: Build-A-Bear Animals

I thought it would be fun to use Wednesday as a day to post items that I’ve learned (most often by accident?!) are good to “watch out for” when you’re perusing the thrift stores and hitting up garage sales.  I’ll try to post every Wednesday but don’t hold me to that! ha ha :)

I try and keep my eyes peeled for unique Build-A-Bear plush animals whenever I see “stuffed toys” at garage sales and thrift stores.  I always knew that the clothing were a great item to sell on eBay but I’d never thought about the animals because for me personally I would NEVER buy a used stuff animal for my children, even the idea of it grosses me out (I suppose if I threw it in the washing machine it wouldn’t be that big of deal).  But obviously others feel differently or just buy them to collect because with a little research I found that certain animals do great on eBay!
untitled
The grey wolf above is a perfect example… it sells for up to $53 dollars.  Of course I’ve found two brown wolves… they still do ok. :)

The trick is to buy the unique animals.  For the most part the plain old dogs and bears won’t give you much of a return but even those would be worth the 25 cents you can often get them for at garage sales because you can add them to a “lot”.  Animal lots do pretty darn good.

I always give the animal a good sniff to make sure they are smoke free, and since you can’t wash them in the machine I make sure they are nice and clean or can at least be spot cleaned. 

Do a little research of completed listings on eBay and you’ll get some good ideas for the animals you should keep an eye out for. 

Today I found another WWF brown wolf and next to him was a fox for $3.00.  I wasn’t sure if he was worth anything but I went with my gut that a “fox build a bear” is probably a pretty rare animal and bought him.  I was right!  There are very few for sale on eBay and he’s also part of the WWF collection.  Anything from the WWF collection is probably worth grabbing.

Off the top of my head… grab the hello kitty, rudolph, the blizzard bears, the sock monkey, mint chocolate chip bear, the peacock, and so on and so on! :)
Good luck!

7 comments:

a.feierman said...

Couldn't agree with you more on this! I just picked up (3) NWT Limited Edition Shrek Baby Ogres at the thrift store for $1 each. Check out how well they do on eBay!

Amy
@ Coupon Tipster

Healthy Branscoms said...

I love your blog! :) I became a new follower! Erin

The Thrifty Momma Says said...

The Grinch Build a Bear is a must grab!

J to the Nessa said...

Add Shrek and the Grinch to the list! Thanks Erin, and welcome! :)

katherine said...

Thanks for the tip! I grabbed a pink poodle this morning--but it doesn't look like the recent completed auctions were that great unless you have the poodle skirt which I don't. Maybe sales will pick up a little closer to Christmas.

J to the Nessa said...

Katherine - Shoot, you are right?! I swear the last time I looked the poodle up it did better than the prices I just looked up. Sorry! I'll take that off my list for now. Thanks for telling me.

beckyp said...

I have only sold one BAB I think it was the lion. I can't seem to stop buying them. Most of mine have clothes and I know the clothes sell well on their own but I hate to have naked animals. I think I might do a lot of them and seperate the clothes just to get rid of them.