Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ra Ra Ra! For a Cheer Squad Garage Sale Super Score!

Kind of on a whim…

I decided to go to a high school cheerleader 45+ family indoor garage sale on a Saturday morning.

I wasn’t even early.  The sale started at 7am and I arrived at 7:15.  For us hardcore treasure hunters, sometimes it’s not even worth showing up if you’re not there at 6:45, am I right?!  Oh, and I was hobbling still from my sprained ankle the week before. 

The entry way was full of bubbly cute cheerleaders and also full of their equally cute and bubbly mothers.  It was weird, everyone was so pretty and so friendly.  Not your typical garage sale atmosphere.  I entered the gym and became super anxious with excitement… it was FULL of awesome stuff and as I quickly scanned the items, I discovered that most was priced right.  Oh yeah!

One of the first things I put in my green rolling bucket (a must have for these types of sales) was a brand new plain white box of Ralph Lauren Romance perfume.  It was priced at $10 and came out of a huge crate full of similar type boxes with similar prices.  $10 is a lot to pay for something at a garage sale for me.  I like the $1 and $2 stuff!  So I put the perfume in my bucket, with the intention of “looking it up on my phone” to check it’s value later.

m6My Haul and My Green Rolling Bucket (you should getcha one)

If you’ve read my previous posts, you know I collect children’s books and hold onto them until I can create desirable lots to sell on eBay.  Well this sale had about 6 different tables with gently used children’s books priced mostly for a quarter or ten cents.  I was in heaven!  I scooped them up as fast as I could grab them.  I checked to see if it was a book I wanted (I have so many books I know exactly what I do and don’t want), scanned it quickly for condition and threw it in my bucket.

My bucket was full in about 9 minutes.

m4139 children’s books – paid 25 cents or 10 cents each

Seeing me hobbling around with a full bucket, the cheer moms came to my rescue and kept coming and taking my stuff for me to the checkout where they had created a “master” pile for me.  At this point, I had long forgotten about the perfume…

I went on to find some other great items for myself, eBay, and for reselling at the children’s consignment sale this fall.  One of my favorite scores was the red KitchenAid toaster for $3.  Ours broke the week before, and this one was in excellent condition and sells new for $50.  Score!

m3

m1(I got some great name brand clothes to sell at the consignment sale!  Most were $1)

So I paid for all my treasures, loaded them up in the van and drove home in excitement.  When I was about 5 minutes from my house, I remembered…

the perfume. 

My initial thought was “Crap?!  I paid $10 for a box of perfume I probably don’t want!” 

But by the time I had got home my thoughts had already changed to… “Crap?!  What if that perfume was really valuable… there was an entire crate of that stuff that I left?!?!?!”

I literally hobble ran to the back of the van, dug out the perfume box, hobble ran into the house and grabbed the laptop. 

Sure enough.

That exact same perfume had just sold for $55.

So I had a 5 minute conversation with my husband.  Well, I don’t know if I could call it a conversation.  It was basically me throwing out several scenarios about whether or not I should drive back (15 miles away), if they’d be there, what was actually in the crate, how mad I’d be at myself it I didn’t go, the financial risk I’d be taking if I bought a crate full of $10/box perfume, and so on and so on…

My husband basically did a lot of nodding and shrugging.  Not much talking.

I had to go.  I HAD TO GO!  Sure.  It would all be gone or would turn out to be crap I didn’t want… but I just had to go back and see.

So I did.  I took my 7 year old daughter and we ran/hobbled back into the building to find the entire crate was

FULL!  Ahhh!

Ok.  I’ll try to make this long story a little shorter…

m5(The Liquid Gold)

I hit the perfume jackpot!  I purchased 19 brand new designer perfume tester bottles.  I was able to get the cheer mom who was selling them to cut me a break (saved me about $40) and so I paid $220 (ouch!) for them all.  About $11.50 per bottle.

I listed them late at night… and within 72 hours I had sold 13 bottles (I still have 6 less desirable for sale) for a total of $703. 

Yes. $703! :)

I couldn’t believe how much and how fast it all sold.

Woohoo! 

And I should be able to sell the remaining 6 bottles for at least $150, probably more.

m2(Packages for my mail lady the day after I listed the perfume!)

Talk about a successful morning of garage sale-ing?!

And this, ladies and gentle friends, is why I LOVE the hunt and why I’ll ALWAYS be a treasure hunter. :)

I kind of think of myself as a modern day Goonie.  Anyone else want to be in my club? ;)

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh wow! You did GREAT! How fun was it watching those perfume bottles sell? I'm jealous - I would love a find like that!

Veronica said...

Wow that is an awesome find. You have to spend money to make money. And you certainly are make making a lot of money with those perfumes. Congrats.

Diana said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous I can't finish reading the post right now, LOL!!! I sell children's book lots as well. Oh my goodness. :) And I WEAR Romance perfume! Score! I'm so happy for you--it was awesome you drove the 15 miles back to pick up the rest of the bottles. That's a tough decision to make but it definitely worked out for you!

Nicole said...

So awesome! Good job. I love reading about your finds. Encouraging.

Renee said...

Awesome job!! I'm glad they were still there when you went back!! Nothing like racing back to get something and it is already sold! I'm really enjoying your blog!! I ebay and consign and I love to go to g-sales. I have 4 kiddos that I homeschool (ages 2-8) so I am not able to go as often as I'd like, but it is always really exciting when I get to go!!

Janessa @ $avvy $aver $ecrets said...

Thanks ladies for the sweet comments! I wish I had more time to share even more of my crazy stories.

Tracy said...

that is so awesome! Congrats!

Erin said...

Awesome find!

Susie Q said...

GREAT find-n-flip!! I wanna be in your club! I'm just like you......I did that with printer cartridges I saw at thrift - wasn't sure about them, so wrote down the # on box, got home and found they were selling for OVER $100/each, so went back and got 2 boxes that were left for $1.99/Each, got them up for Buy-it-Nows for $120/EACH!! WOOT WOOT!!
The thrill of the hunt! I'm a die-hard thrifter like you - I think we could be BFF!! ;-)

R Rae Haze said...

Awesome and inspiring post!! Congrats!